Friday, April 6, 2012

Deuteronomy

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy...the fifth book of the Bible. That's what I'm up to. And Matthew, Mark, Luke...the third gospel, that's what I'm up to in the New Testament. My devotional throws in a Psalm and a Proverb daily too, as well as one of Oswald Chamber's writings. His devotional writings are excerpts from his books published back in the 1950's, back when I was a little baby. He was a brilliant theologian and a deep thinker. Some days I'm left encouraged and uplifted, somedays exhorted, and somedays I ponder and wonder and scratch my head. Those are the days I'm humbled by my lack of understanding...on so many levels.

Recently I read this: We may say what we like, but God does allow the devil, He does allow sin, He does allow bad men to triumph and tyrants to rule, and these things either make us fiends or they make us saints, it depends entirely on our relationship with God. If we say "Your will be done," we get the tremendous consolation of knowing that our Father is working everything according to His own wisdom. If we understand what God is after, we shall be saved from being mean and cynical. From If Ye Shall Ask 1958.

And earlier I read this: There is nothing more impertinent than our crass infidelity in God. If He does not make us plowers and sowers, and reapers all at once, we lose faith in Him. From The Servant as His Lord 1957. (I don't even know that that title is saying.)

Sometimes I get a dose of inspiration from facebook. For example, don't find fault, find a remedy.  I liked that, and I like that. That's good advice, huh?  Or how 'bout this, Christians are tempted to fight like the devil to please the Lord. Isn't that sadly oxymoronic?

There are two great commandments that trump all the others. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. When we get good at those two maybe it will be okay to move on to telling others how they should live. But I don't see that happening this side of heaven. Let's live the best we can in obedience to God, and let others figure out how they should be living in obedience to God.

Amen?

No comments:

Post a Comment